Carbon Footprint Reduction
Our energy savings programs save enough energy to run 10 Oshkosh homes every year.
- 50/50 – 50% of everything we buy and sell comes from within 50 miles of the shop. Food that travels shorter distances produces lower carbon.
- No deep vat fryer or other high energy use appliances.
- Limited use of large kitchen appliances.
- Conversion of appliances to Energy Star rated devices.
- We use lower wattage LED light bulbs to reduce electricity consumption.
- We ensure our delivery vans are fuel efficient by performing tire inflation checks, tune-ups, not running the air-conditioning and limiting trips.
- In the warmer months we use bicycles to make deliveries whenever we can.
Planet Perk recycling and post-consumer paper programs saves an estimated 85,000 pounds of paper per year.
- Planet Perk uses recycled paper products for all of its office supplies and printed materials.
- Our “Read & Return” magazines/newspapers save 50,000 pounds of paper every year.
- Our napkins and bathroom-paper towels are made from 100% post consumer material.
- Our paper cups, coffee cup sleeves, and many other products are made from post consumer material and all of them are 100% compostable.
The use of corn starch and other products are 100% compostable and prevents 28,000 pounds of plastic entering our land-fills every year.
- Planet Perk uses “To-Go” forks, knives, and spoons made from corn starch.
- Our clear plastic cups are made from corn starch as well as the lids.
- Our paper cups do not contain ANY plastic lining material.
- "To-Go" bags, lunch containers and other items are made corn starch or post consumer paper.
Planet Perk efforts to reduce water consumption saves 420.000 gallons of water per year.
- Planet Perk filters most of its water to make sure you have a healthy experience when dining at Planet Perk.
- We also use “low-flow” water devices in our kitchen.
Recycling & Composting
Planet Perk recycles everything it can that is not 100% compostable.
- We recycle all of our print cartridges and re-fill them with organic inks.
- We offer our clients bags of used coffee grounds for their gardens.
- We also supply grounds and other compostables to local food co-ops.
Responsible Ranching and Farming
Planet Perk supports responsible and sustainable farming/ranching practices by looking for foods that come from either organic farms or free-range ranches. Although our selection of these items is limited, we are open to any and all suggestions on where we can get more responsible food products.
We Buy Local
Most restaurant items travel up to 1,800 miles before reaching your plate. We have a 50/50 Program that ensures that 50% of everything we buy and sell comes from within 50 miles and the other 50% come from within 500 miles. In addition, we buy our produce from local growers and farmer's markets when possible.
The café endeavors to serve slow, natural, organic, healthy non-processed foods that make people feel good. In fact, Planet Perk Café has been certified as a Smart Plate restaurant by the Winnebago County Health Department https://www.co.winnebago.wi.us/health